Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 61

Thread: Model 19 and 17

  1. #1
    Hostboard Member KBergsson's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 14th, 2009
    Posts
    82
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

    Model 19 and 17

    Hi I'm new to this group.
    I have been pondering buying the new 604's from GPA and build 620 cabinets. I have been listening to Lowthers in Mau IV's for the last 10 years (how time fly's). But would like to get slightly more lower mid/upper bass for the next ten .

    I have never had the opportunity to hear Model 17's or 19's for that matter. I have heard Klipsch corner horns and was impressed at the time but neither K-horns nor Altec's are abundant in northern Europe.
    The views and reviews I have read indicate that I could learn to like the Altec mod 17's and therefore they for me are worth the gamble of a relatively simple DIY approach with GPA drivers and home made cabinets.

    I have however recently seen a pair of model 19's advertised for sale (approx 800km's away), but they are not standard. I.e. the 416's has been exchanged with 515-8's (don't know which one) and the compression driver membranes have also been exchanged (awaiting more info) although compression driver magnets are still alnico, cabinets seem to be in great shape (oiled oak).
    I could probably bring the comp drivers back to spec. but buying 2x416 as well and exchanging the 515-8's would make this too costly a project. Can the 515 be made to work well in the mod 19's bass cabinets and are there known/tested mods for the standard mod 19 xover for the different 515-8's.
    Best regards
    Kjartan

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member oface1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 5th, 2008
    Posts
    563
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Model 19 and 17

    Welcome Kbergsson,,,,

    I would play it safe and go with a known variable. I would go with the New GPA's. I am sure VAT/shipping will be killer though....but a lot less than those 19's with cabs.....

    They are new, none had gotten their fingers in places that are sensitive, and you know what you have bought.......

    With modded gear of a certain or uncertain vintage... you will never quite know what you get till it is too late....

    Others will sure to chime in and give ton's of advice... I bought some used 604's, but they will be needing new cones and phram's,,,


    Welcome to the forum and read up ,,,,,,


    later,


    -chris

  3. #3
    Hostboard Member KBergsson's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 14th, 2009
    Posts
    82
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

    Re: Model 19 and 17

    Thanks Chris, thats my gut feeling as well, to buy new from GPA. Its just easy to get excited when you haven't seen anything interesting for sale in your area for awhile .
    Kjartan

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member westend9's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 3rd, 2007
    Posts
    296
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Model 19 and 17

    This gentleman is close to you and may offer some solutions regarding your Altec wishes:Hasling Audio Systems Denmark I have no affiliation or business with this individual. Just thought I'd offer up a somewhat local purveyor.

    It's difficult to provide advice regarding the Model 19's you're interested in without knowing the condition of the speakers. The installation of 515's wouldn't preclude a sale, for me. If you wished to keep everything stock, you could sell the 515's and acquire 416's with the proceeds.

    As was posted, purchase of new drivers from GPA adds a level of assurance but also increases the price. Mostly, buying Model 19's is going to entail some maintenance, at some point. The model is no longer being made and provision for new diaphrams, remagnetizing, and crossover work should be taken into consideration, IMO. I would take a look at the Model 19's for sale, pretty hard. Good enclosures ae getting scarce and if you find they are in exceptional condition, you have a leg up on some sales.

  5. #5
    Hostboard Member KBergsson's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 14th, 2009
    Posts
    82
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

    Re: Model 19 and 17

    Thanks very much Westend9 for the info. I don't remember this company, althoug I seem to remember the name. I lived in Denmark from 1980-1991. Got the audio bacteria there .
    I will contact Hasling Audio, I see they have a lot of Altec stuff on stock.
    I will probably make a trip to Denmark this winter anyhow. Whatever way I choose its good to know of a specialist company within an hours and a half flying distance.
    Best regards
    Kjartan

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member westend9's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 3rd, 2007
    Posts
    296
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Model 19 and 17

    Quote Originally Posted by KBergsson View Post
    Thanks very much Westend9 for the info. I don't remember this company, althoug I seem to remember the name. I lived in Denmark from 1980-1991. Got the audio bacteria there .
    I will contact Hasling Audio, I see they have a lot of Altec stuff on stock.
    I will probably make a trip to Denmark this winter anyhow. Whatever way I choose its good to know of a specialist company within an hours and a half flying distance.
    Best regards
    Kjartan
    You are welcome. If you have been listening to Lowthers, you owe yourself the opportunity to listen to a larger Altec horn based speaker. I have smaller Fostex full range bass horns and the dynamics of my Model 19's add a lot to the presentation. Where the bass horns shine in the midrange, they are outclassed by the finesse of the Altecs through the entire range. Good luck on your search!

  7. #7
    Hostboard Member KBergsson's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 14th, 2009
    Posts
    82
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

    Re: Model 19 and 17

    Yes I look forward to hear the Altecs (eihter 19?s or 604?s) and their more richer sound compared to the relative leanness of the Lowthers. The Lowthers however, even after all these years, still impress me with their musicality and the extremely minute details they are able to dig up and convey in relaxed and natural manner.

    The Lowhters (DX2s in Mau IVs) are however extremely sensitive to any changes in the chain. DX4?s or PM2A's (which were first used in these Mau IV horns) would probably have driven my from my wits several years a go, as they are still more revealing.

    A short into to my system which really hasn't changed for many years:
    To stay sane (or at least to increase the odds..) I have for many years used simple wire wrap wire for speaker cables and interconnects, a passive pre-amp and speaker cables made of thin copper foil. I drive the Lowthers with p-p 2A3 amps (which have started to hum a little to much lately ) and a Trends Audio amp when I tire of the hum ... need to get the 2A3 amp looked at as it is more human and not as cold and clinical as the TA. Sources are a Vincent CD-S6 and a '76 model Linn (un-modified with exception of an old Monstermat copy) with a M?rk UP-4 arm and either an Ortofon MC20 moving coil or an OM30 mm directly plugged into a M?rk lightweight armtube (i have worn out a 103, which was good, a Decca London which was great at times but drove me crazy the rest of the time and several others I don't rember well). As a step-up and riaa I use an AudioAlcemy Vac in the box.

    On another note - I saw a picture of the Shindo 604 Alnico, beautiful cabinets. Does anyone know their specs i.e. HxWxD and are they down-firing bassreflex or?
    Such old style (wide and shallow) cabinets would fit me fine, although I regrettably would not have the patience to attain the level of finish the Shindo Labs do..
    Regards
    Kjartan

  8. #8
    Senior Hostboard Member gortnipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 30th, 2008
    Posts
    244
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Re: Model 19 and 17

    Kjartan - the Shindo 604 is essentially a MLTL with a custom crossover, it has a bottom port.

    Dimensions: W 700 ~H 1,200 ~ D 460mm.
    Weight: 56 kg

    You could easily build this yourself, or have it built and save A LOT of money. There are several options for different crossovers than the stock ones as well.

    David

  9. #9
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Re: Model 19 and 17

    Quote Originally Posted by KBergsson View Post
    I saw a picture of the Shindo 604 Alnico, beautiful cabinets.
    Greets!

    Anyone know when the Shindo was introduced?

    TIA,

    GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

  10. #10
    Hostboard Member KBergsson's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 14th, 2009
    Posts
    82
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

    Re: Model 19 and 17

    That was my thought David, it would be against my principles to pay traditional High-end level prices. I'm ready to pay a fair price for good quality components and excellent craftsmanship, but not for a label or a name.
    This MLTL however I don't understand. Can anybody help me understand the difference between MLTL and TL, TQWT and stuffed or restricted Bass-reflex.
    There was a TL craze in Denmark in the early eighty's, people built large TL subwoofers and IMF copies using the oval Kef speaker. I have seen drawings of supposed MLTL that are similar to the old style TL (a parallel sides 1/4 wave with a slightly smaller opening), TQWT (tapered 1/4 wave also with a smaller port than the end area), down-firing bass reflex with stuffing in the upper half of the cabinets, and even cabinets with a restricted port a la Dynaudio's vents. Is MLTL any of these, all of these or none of these?
    Regards
    Kjartan

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.